Can My Dog Eat Raw Meat?(part 2)
If my dog can eat raw meat why isn’t my vet recommending it?
Want to read Part 1? Can My Dog Ear Raw Meat #1
Dear Ask Darwin’s,
I really think I can feed my dog raw meat. I really like the predicted benefits of shiny coats and allergy control. Any insight into why my vet says, don’t do it.
Paula – North Carolina
I, of course, can’t make a sweeping statement why some vets are still nervous about raw, nor can I speak to your vet’s concerns. I can, however, relay what my vet (as well as many others) say about raw meat diets.
Let me share with you what my vet said about dogs eating raw meat:
- Non-holistic Veterinarian colleges do not spend a lot of time on nutrition. They do get a course in in it, however (it’s my understanding) that it is very basic and part of their regular curriculum.
- Her clinic has a contract with a leading dog food company in the country. Its great food, however, it is dry and canned. Which means it has preservatives and a shelf-life of about a year.
- Because of this contract, she is barred from recommending another brand… any brand, raw or not, that is not sold in her clinic.
- Because she can’t be specific (a company with a spotless reputation) she is nervous that the owner will go out and buy raw meat at the local market. Unfortunately, that introduces all sorts of unknowns… and could invite bacteria.
Obviously, I recommend the switch to raw meals; the benefits are many:
- Shinier coats
- Healthier skin
- Cleaner teeth
- Smaller stools – less order and often turns to dust and blows away
- High energy levels
Having said that I suggest the following:
- Go to: http://www.ahvma.org/ American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association. Maybe there is a holistic vet near you that will not only approve of raw feeding, will promote it.
- Go to: http://healthypets.mercola.com/. This is a wonderful site. It has a ton of information and best of all it is a portal to Dr. Karen Becker. She is one of the leading holistic vets in the country and a big fan (and promoter) of a raw diet
- Go to: http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/ The Whole Dog Journal. It’s a free newsletter. I get it every day. Its archival search is second to none.
- Go to: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ Dog Food Advisor – ‘nuff said.
I hope this helps!