How to Feed Raw
Last Updated on
Feeding a Raw Diet to Your Dog or Cat
To maintain freshness, Darwin’s meals are delivered frozen to your doorstep. Keep it in your freezer as you would other raw meat.
Once you’re ready to start feeding raw to your pet, follow these simple tips:
- Take what you need for the next day or two from your freezer and thaw in your refrigerator with the thaw tub provided in your first order. Depending on the temperature of your fridge, the food should thaw in about a day.
- Once thawed, pull the easy-open tab on the package and serve in a non-porous bowl to your pet.
- Now that your pet’s meals have been gobbled up, make sure to wash any dishes or surfaces that you used to handle your raw food. Handling Darwin’s is as simple as handling any other raw meat. The same hygiene steps apply.
Once defrosted, keep the unserved food refrigerated and use within 2-4 days.
How Much Should I Feed My Dog?
As a general rule, a typical adult dog should consume about 2-4% of their ideal body weight per day. Typically, smaller dogs should eat a higher percentage of their body weight, while bigger dogs should eat a lower percentage. In weekly and monthly terms:
- a 10 lb dog will eat about 2- 2 1/2 lbs per week or about 10 lbs per month
- a 25 lb dog will eat about 5 lbs per week or about 20 lbs per month
- a 50 lb dog will eat about 8 lbs per week or about 32 lbs per month
- a 75 lb dog will eat about 10- 10 1/2 lbs per week or about 42 lbs per month
- a 100 lb dog will eat about 14 lbs per week or about 56 lbs per month
How Much Should I Feed My Cat?
When it comes to feeding your cat, the amount of food they need depends on their size, weight, and activity level. Adult cats should typically eat 4-6 ounces per day, so one Darwin’s pouch will feed your cat for approximately 2 days. Since the activity level of a cat can vary depending on their personality, we suggest that you monitor your cat’s weight and adjust the amount accordingly.
How Do I Know Which Meals Are Best for My Pet?
The menu consultants at Darwin’s are always available to answer any questions you have about your pet’s meals. Our goal is to help you provide them with the right foods to meet their individual needs.